300mm Plasma Etching of Oxide. The AutoGlow 1000 showed SiO2 etching uniformity of less than 8% on a 300mm wafer using one electrode shelf set (powered bottom shelf, grounded electrode shelf above). An etch rate of 603 Angstroms/min was achieved on the 300mm plasma etch of oxide. This shows that the AutoGlow can be used for processing multiple 300mm wafers on multiple shelves. The AutoGlow 1000 channels the process gas to the front of the chamber in a balanced way to improve the uniformity on large substrates. Process gas is introduced to the front of the vacuum chamber and the reactive gas is drawn across the substrate(s) to the vacuum port in the rear of the chamber. The plasma is extremely uniform. Other films such as photoresist, polymers, silicon nitride and organics can also be processed in the AutoGlow 1000.
Testing performed for oxide etch:
- CF4 and O2 as the process gas
- 1 Torr pressure
- 400 watts of power at 13.56 MHz
- 2 minutes for etch time
- 603 Angstroms/min etch rate
- 8% measured uniformity (max measurement-min etch /2 x average)
- 300mm Plasma Etching of Oxide, resting on the lower powered electrode with ground electrode positioned above the powered electrode (RIE mode)
The AutoGlow 1000 can process multiple 300mm wafers on multiple electrode shelves.
- Oxide Etching/plasma etching basics–posted by the University of Texas, Austin–click HERE
- If you have interest or would like to run samples, please click HERE
- To see details and a video of the AutoGlow 1000, click HERE
Glow Research makes the entire system–the RF generator, Matching Network, Software control system, chamber, gas delivery system and the electrode shelves. Electrode shelf sets can be ordered. Also offered is a perforated ground shelf–where the substrates would rest on the bottom floating ground under the perforated connected ground shelf. This provides a “down-stream” plasma discharge for applications where the user is concerned with ion damage to the substrate.